Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dean of Students as Blogger?

My school's Dean of Students recently asked me about setting up a "Dean's Blog" to respond to issues as they arise in different times of the year.

For the last couple years I have asked our Deans to come lead my class discussion about student rights during our Civil Rights/Civil Liberties Unit. There are often good questions asked and the students appreciate the opportunity to ask their questions in a "safe" environment (rather then waiting until they are actually in trouble for something). The students also remark that it makes the Deans seem more "normal." I guess they don't get a lot of opportunity to interact with them unless they have broken a school rule.

Oftentimes, the questions are about a wide variety of issues including dress code, behavior at school dances, senior pranks, etc. It would be great to be able to share these discussions and responses with a wider audience of students.

So I believe our Dean is trying to give other students an opportunity to have their questions addressed in a similar way. I think this is a great idea. 

Is there anything similar already out there that we can look at?

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment